Earth Magick for Abundance, Grounding, & Connection
Earth is our mother, and this element rounds out the four physical elements of our blog series (stay tuned for Spirit!). The earth provides our homes and reminds us to rely on forces stronger than us to help us stay on the right path. Earth Magick can be extremely centering and supportive, too, so let’s dig into it!
Grounding & Centering
If you feel a little flighty or out of control, it’s often a good idea to ground yourself. You don’t even need any spell ingredients to do it! If you’re outside, take a seat on the ground to connect directly with the earth. You can do this inside too, so have a seat and close your eyes.
Notice the ground beneath you. Imagine a cord of light extending from your body and down into the center of the earth. Next, imagine all your cares flowing into the earth, where they will be recycled, burned, or harmlessly dissipated.
Leaning against the trunk of a tree while you journal your thoughts or engage in meditation is a great way to ground yourself in Earth Magick, too.
Connect with the earth by creating a garden. Whether it’s just for flowers, filled with tasty vegetables, or composed of desert-hardy cacti, your garden provides ample opportunities to practice Earth Magick. Learn about the plants you grow and tune into the seasons as they shift from one to the other. Few things feel more abundant than growing and harvesting plants.
You can also take it a step further and learn wildcrafting and foraging. It can teach you a lot about the earth. If you’re new to foraging, be sure to stick to non-edible plants until you’ve had the chance to take a class from a local expert or wildcrafting teacher. Also, be sure to observe local trespassing laws – you don’t want to get hurt or in trouble when looking for nature’s gifts.
Herbal Magick & Kitchen Witchery
Many magickal herbs are easy to grow in your garden or even on your windowsill. Sage, mint, rosemary, thyme, chives, basil, and lavender are some witchy favorites. If gardening isn’t your thing, consider purchasing herbs from a local farmers' market and dry them yourself.
Any time you step into your kitchen to cook a meal, you have the chance to connect with Mother Earth. Take some time to thank the earth for the vegetables and fruits you add to your recipe. Choose herbs and spices depending on their magickal properties, and don’t forget to stir intentions clockwise into your pot.
While herbs aren’t a substitute for medical advice, learning how to use herbs for minor ailments – like peppermint tea for a tummy ache – can also help you feel more connected to the earth and its natural magick. Again, be safe about how you use herbs.
Of course, one of my favorite ways to connect with the earth is through crystal magick. Stones like petrified wood, smoky quartz, and amber all resonate with earth energy and can bring a little Earth Magick into your space. Carry a few of the gemstones listed below with you for grounding and spiritual centering.
Common Earth Correspondences:
- Zodiac: Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo
- Planets/Celestial Bodies: Earth, Saturn, Venus
- Direction: North
- Colors: Brown, Green, Black, White
- Plants: Cedar, Ash, Cypress, Elm, Juniper, Magnolia, Oak, Olive, Pomegranate, Rowan, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Mugwort, Sage, Clove, Grains, Henbane, Horehound, Patchouli
- Gemstones: Agate, Amber, Emerald, Green Calcite, Cat’s Eye, Jet, Kunzite, Peridot, Petrified Wood, Smoky Quartz, Tourmaline, Unakite
- Goddesses: Anat, Ariadne, Artemis, Asherah, Bertha, Ceres, Demeter, Gaia, Kore, Nephthys, Persephone, Rhea, Rhiannon
- Gods: Adonis, Arawn, Cernunnos, Dionysus, Geb, the Green Man, Khnum, Marduk, Mimir, Pan, Prometheus, Vishnu
- Animals/Insects: Crocodile, Chicken, Mole, Otter, Prairie Dog, Wolverine, Deer, Dog, Buffalo, Cattle, Bear, Boar, Armadillo, Woodpecker, Crow, Turtle