Exploring Planetary Magick
Just as your inner work can influence the outer world and vice versa, so too can the planets affect your magick and help guide you in your practice. Each planet influences our lives and allows us the opportunity to tap into different energies. Let’s dive into Planetary Magick!
Communication, Memories, Developing New Skills
Mercury is the planet of adaptability, communication, and balance. When you’re ready to work some magick in your business, tap into your memories, or develop new skills, do so on a Wednesday, which Mercury rules. Mercury also influences travel, which is one reason travel can be interrupted or completely frustrating when Mercury is in Retrograde. Before you hit the road, consider making a protection bag with some of the herbs or stones below.
- Day of the Week: Wednesday
- Zodiac: Gemini & Virgo
- Colors: Dark blue, purple, orange, silver, yellow
- Herbs: Bergamot, rosemary, sage, peppermint, lavender
- Gemstones: Amber, hematite, malachite, sodalite
- Tarot: The Hermit, The Lovers, The Magician
- Deities: Athena/Minerva, Hermes/Mercury, Loki, Lugh, Odin, Thor, Maat, Maia, Seshat
Love, the Astral Realm, Beauty, Creativity
Venus, much like the goddess it’s named for, is the planet of love. Friday is also the day of love and the day that’s ruled by this planet. Gemstones that resonate with the heart chakra are especially useful for amplifying Venus’s magick, and this planet’s energy encourages you to engage in self-love, self-care, and romance. Friday is an excellent day for fertility, and quick money-drawing spells too!
- Day of the Week: Friday
- Zodiac: Libra & Taurus
- Colors: Light blue/aqua, lavender, mauve, white, pink, green
- Herbs: Basil, blackberry, violet, passionflower, rose, raspberry, catnip, daffodil, geranium
- Gemstones: Aventurine, alexandrite, desert rose, rose quartz, tourmaline
- Tarot: The Empress, Justice, The Star
- Deities: Venus, Ishtar, Astarte, Quetzalcoatl
Action, Endurance, Power, Strength
Named after the Roman God of War, it’s no wonder this planet carries many assertive energies with it. Mars rules Tuesdays, and it’s a great day to focus your personal power and strength on what you desire. Cleanse and protect your home and connect with the divine masculine, with Mars’s help, on Tuesdays. Any protective magick, spells for strength, and spells for justice are amplified with Mars’s influence.
- Day of the Week: Tuesday
- Zodiac: Aries & Scorpio
- Colors: Red, orange, pink, maroon
- Herbs: Basil, garlic, pennyroyal, snapdragon
- Gemstones: Bloodstone, red or watermelon tourmaline, pyrite, rhodonite, citrine
- Tarot: The Devil, The Emperor, The Tower
- Deities: Ares/Mars, Badb, Maeve, Odin, Set, Thor
Abundance, Leadership, Business, Well-Being
The symbol for Jupiter looks like a number 4, and it’s a great way to think about the planet: Jupiter works FOR you. The planet rules Thursdays and supports you in your finances, business, and prosperity. On Thursdays, your money drawing and career success spells will have an extra boost of power. You can also set your long-term goals or search for a new career on Thursdays to take advantage of the planet’s power.
- Day of the Week: Thursday
- Zodiac: Pisces & Sagittarius
- Colors: Light green, purple, turquoise, blue
- Herbs: Clove, honeysuckle, lemon balm, sage, dandelion
- Gemstones: Amethyst, emerald, star sapphire, ametrine, lepidolite
- Tarot: Wheel of Fortune
- Deities: Jupiter/Zeus, Nut, Hera, Devi, Justitia, Indra, Marduk, Baal
Concentration, Death, Grounding, Purification
Saturn’s day is Saturday, and it’s a great day for cleaning your home or sacred space. You can also work with the planet’s energies on Saturdays when you volunteer, meditate, or practice spirit communication. Saturn helps us restore order to chaos, and Saturday is a good time for protection, banishing, and personal advancement magick.
- Day of the Week: Saturday
- Zodiac: Aquarius, Capricorn & Libra
- Colors: Black, gray, navy blue, brown, dark green, indigo
- Herbs: Carnation, ivy, comfrey, morning glory
- Gemstones: Apache tears, carnelian, obsidian, sapphire, serpentine, black tourmaline
- Tarot: Death, The Hanged Man, The World
- Deities: Saturn, Hecate, Demeter, Ceres, Kali, Juno, Rhea, Amun, Khonsu
Ambition, Community, Goals, Intuition
Uranus is most potent on Wednesdays, and on these days, it’s time to volunteer, do social justice work, and practice divination. The planet is all about community, cooperation, goals, and intuition, so if you’re ready for a significant change in your life, work with Uranus’s and Wednesday’s energy to amplify your intentions. Uranus is known as the “Great Disruptor” as the planet of sudden surprises, massive change, and life-changing awakenings. So, when it’s in retrograde, it’s actually providing a calmer experience for us.
- Day of the Week: Wednesday
- Zodiac: Aquarius & Gemini
- Colors: Indigo, yellow
- Herbs: Allspice, basil, neroli, nutmeg, fennel, coffee, clove, star anise
- Gemstones: Amazonite, Herkimer diamond, labradorite, aventurine, quartz
- Tarot: The Fool, The Star, The Tower
- Deities: Uranus, Aphrodite, Inanna, Ishtar, Anat, Athena, Danu, Isis
Clairvoyance, Creativity, The Underworld, Dream Work
Neptune carries many of the watery characteristics of its namesake, the Roman God of the Sea. It resonates with the water element, its Zodiac signs are Aquarius (the water-bearer) and Pisces, and the colors that correspond to the planet are beautiful blues and greens. Amplify your magick with Neptune’s help on Mondays and practice divination, meditate, or cast spells to help open your third eye. Neptune can also help you connect with your spiritual self and boost sea magick.
- Day of the Week: Monday
- Zodiac: Aquarius & Pisces
- Colors: Light green, sea green, blue, lavender, turquoise, indigo
- Herbs: Honeysuckle, lily, lotus, patchouli, mint, rosemary
- Gemstones: Amethyst, aquamarine, celestite, fluorite, jade, lapis lazuli, sapphire, angelite
- Tarot: The Hanged Man
- Deities: Neptune/Poseidon, Manannan, Aegir, Brigid, Sedna, Ran, Tiamat
Change, Rebirth and Renewal, Transformation, Justice
Pluto’s strongest day is Tuesday, and this dark little planet can be interesting to work with. Call on Pluto while doing shadow work with the understanding that Pluto works first by destroying something so that something new can be born. So, proceed with caution and the awareness that you may be inviting the planet to help tear things down in your life before something new emerges. Pluto is also good at uncovering secrets, supporting you as you explore your sexuality and face your fears.
- Day of the Week: Tuesday
- Zodiac: Cancer & Scorpio
- Colors: Black, brown, maroon, crimson
- Herbs: Basil, fern, belladonna, nettle
- Gemstones: Garnet, kunzite, obsidian, tourmalated quartz, tourmaline, spinel
- Tarot: Judgement
- Deities: Pluto, Osiris, Hathor, Hecate, the Morrigan, Persephone, Hera, Kali, Hel, Ereshkigal
Divine Masculine, Vitality, Strength, Action, Success
The Sun rules Sunday, which makes the day a wonderful one to spend time outside, creating or doing the things you love. The Sun is strongest at Noon each day, so even on other days, you can tap into the Sun’s energy around this time. Use the Sun’s power to help you decide what you enjoy most in life, where your passions lie, or what makes you feel the most alive. The Sun also corresponds to the Sabbats of Yule, Ostara, Litha, and Mabon.
- Day of the Week: Sunday
- Zodiac: Aries, Cancer & Leo
- Colors: Gold, yellow, orange
- Herbs: Carnation, chamomile, rosemary, St. John’s wort, sunflower, marigold, heliotrope, goldenseal, daisy
- Gemstones: Amber, golden beryl, calcite, ruby, sunstone, tiger’s eye, diamond, citrine, ametrine
- Tarot: Strength, The Sun
- Deities: Adonis, Apollo, Horus, Helios, Vishnu, Shiva, Ra, Osiris, Lugh, Aine, Amaterasu, Phoebe, Sekhmet, Brigid, Hathor, Baal, Amun
Divine Feminine, Divination, Protection, Witchcraft
The Moon rules Monday, which makes it a lovely counterpart to Sunday’s masculine vibe. Use the Moon’s energy on Mondays to work with the Divine Feminine, find inner balance, practice manifestation or protection, and amplify your psychic abilities. The Moon reminds us that we can trust our gut, and we can allow some softness and grace into our lives. The Moon also corresponds to the Sabbats of Samhain, Imbolc, Beltane, and Lughnasadh.
- Day of the Week: Monday
- Zodiac: Cancer
- Colors: Blue, sea green, gray, silver, white, orange
- Herbs: Gardenia, grape, lemon balm, rosemary, blackberry, bergamot, poppy, lily
- Gemstones: Moonstone, morganite, agate, aquamarine, selenite, quartz, opal
- Tarot: The Chariot, The High Priestess, The Moon
- Deities: Luna, Selene, Rhiannon, Persephone, Aphrodite, Artemis, Cerridwen, Freya, Hecate, Ishtar, Hermes, Janus, Aegir, Khonsu, Shiva, Thoth
How will you work with the planets?